This is part 1 of a 5 part series on how Jokket aims to help freelancers. Make sure to keep an eye out for part 2 in the coming days!
It’s ok. We get it. You’re wondering, “what the heck does Jokket mean?” The answer is actually pretty simple (we promise).
Buuuuutttt, just for the heck of it, let’s start with some of the guesses we’ve gotten:
Guess #1: Is it an arbitrary compilation of letters that just happens to sound good?
Guess #2: Is it an anagram?
Guess #3: Is it what Saul’s been up to post Breaking Bad?
Guess #4: Is it a job docket?
Bingo. We have a winner. Let’s give a round of applause to the participant clearly planted in the crowd!
So…..Why Job Docket?
Surprisingly this answer isn’t just that the app deals with work, and that we provide tools that resemble a “docket like nature.” That would’ve been wayyyyyy too easy and you guys wouldn’t have this awesome post to read.
The name comes from a core belief: being self-employed (a freelancer, an independent contractor, a part time worker, etc.) can be really difficult. Ironically, most self-employed work difficulty doesn’t actually come from the actual working part. The difficulty comes from everything else.
If you are self-employed, you are probably on your own. This means that you probably don’t have much overhead, and in turn, are responsible for managing all the details of your work life:
- You find your own clients
- You manage your potential client pipeline to ensure there is work year round
- You balance on the tight rope of negotiating the best deal and keeping recurring clients happy
- You follow through with creating contracts (or reading through ones provided by clients)
- You keep clients updated on status and manage communications
- You send reports and invoices (or have spent time vetting and integrating a solution that does this for you)
- You ensure you get paid on time (or at all)
- You do whatever it takes to make clients happy to ensure you don’t get a bad review that hurts your chances at future work (even if it isn’t deserved)
Truth Fact: Managing every part of your work world can be exhausting, and people who are self-employed do it every day.
Jokket wants to be the job docket that makes freelance life easier.
Jokket is built by former contractors and freelancers. We get what freelancers and employers deal with when it comes to contract work, and Jokket is built on bridging the gap between the self-employed and employers.
Over the next couple of posts, we’re going to outline how we think Jokket will bring efficiency to the space. We’ll go over the smart processes, features, and some of the big things we believe will bring balance and efficiency to the space.
We’re excited about Jokket (Job Docket) and can’t wait to help in a big way.
To stay updated, check our twitter @jokkettrust. If you’re super awesome, follow us on AngelList.